Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PowerPoint – Creating Classroom Presentations

I was searching PowerPoint presentations and found a fascinating article at http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech013.shtml. I chose to review this article because I incorporate PowerPoint presentations into my lessons weekly. This article explains why PowerPoint presentations are used and how it creates an interactive classroom environment. The benefit of using PowerPoint in the classroom is that it keeps the interest and attention of the students. Students enjoy graphics, text, and interactive material which are user friendly.

This article lists a couple of projects that students completed that were very successful. Another great benefit with PowerPoint is the ability of all grade levels to use it. It can be used to instruct a class, instruction for learning centers, assessments, display student work, slide shows, and student portfolios. The ability to use PowerPoint is easy to understand, but if you are having trouble there is a tutorial for new users on the basics.

The overall benefit of PowerPoint is the ability to use it in the classroom to allow your students to create projects. This will encourage the students to be creative and at the same time become more familiar with technology. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this article on PowerPoint and the students’ in my classroom this year get excited about the lesson when I put it in a PowerPoint presentation. I recommend allowing your students to explore using PowerPoint and if you are having trouble click on additional resources for more detailed instructions.

3 comments:

Laura Ann said...

I agree with you about the "POWER" of powerpoint. The presentation tool not only helps students create projects, but it also teaches them how to highlight important information and present their work. Powerpoint can be used by students of all ages. You'll have some who try to tell you these kinds of tools are too hard for young students, but I think they are wrong. I've used Powerpoint with my first graders for about me projects, science presentations, and letters of the alphabet pictures.

TamraJ said...

I love PowerPoint. I think it is a really great way to engage all of your students. There is so much that you can do to really create a learning experience for the students that meets all learning needs. I agree with you on the fact that PowerPoint is great for a wide range of students. I use it with the students in my kindergarten class as well and they love it.
I thought that article had a wonderful idea with the "this day in history" activity. You could assign something like this toward the end of each month. Each student could get a day for the next month. If they create a few slides on each day you could watch them as a class and have little topics of discussion for each day. I thought that was a really great idea. Thanks for sharing :)

Miss Caleffe said...

PowerPoint's are Wonderful for so many different things! I even have my students put together a PowerPoint for open house and have it playing the entire time...they are so proud of it and their parents love it. I came across an blog post on The tech Savvy Educator on how to turn PowerPoint's into movies and it doesn't look hard and you don't need any special programs...this could be another way to change up some old PowerPoint's or teach your students to do that as a project. The link to that article is http://www.techsavvyed.net/?p=446 check it out and see if you could use it too.