Saturday, December 6, 2008

Web 2.0 Tools for the Classroom

These were the four Web 2.0 tools I found and a brief description for use in the classroom.

1. Picnik – http://www.picnik.com/
The first Web 2.0 site I decided to learn more about was Picnik. This site is designed to assist making memories by editing great pictures. I thought of several ways that would make it creative, the first being scrap books. Other ideas would be to design pictures for the yearbooks, art class, and other school related activities. Overall, I would benefit from this site because it would teach my students how to use it and have them edit and create photos to use in class.

2. ToonDoo – http://www.toondoo.com/
Another great Web 2.0 resource was ToonDoo. When studying spelling words I sometimes will have them create their own spelling comic strip. Now, instead of having the page outlined for you, you need to have an idea for using the resources. This site has great ways to create your own spelling /grammar comic by making it interesting, funny, and having fun is the only thing that matters. This would be very helpful with students who need help with organization skills.

3. Live Journal – http://www.livejournal.com/
This Web 2.0 tool is a great way to have discussions, blog, and have your own private journal. I thought this tool would be great for any subject area, especially social studies, grammar and spelling, which are the three subjects I teach. I would have the students use the LJ Talk for class assignments. I would have them discuss questions, reports, and other school related topics using the instant messing feature. I would check this assignment by having the students either email me their conversations or print them out. Another great feature of this tool is the blog. I would have students keep a blog for my classroom. They would post new ideas, comment, and add other features to their blog to make it beneficial for them and their classmates. The last tool I found useful, which is more of a personal feature, is the private journal. This journal would be used for more personal use. The students would have to read a current event once a week. This current event could be from the paper, internet, or magazine. They would write a paragraph about what the current event was about and what their thoughts where on the topic. This would help them with know what is happening in the world and keeping them reading and writing.

4. Gramlee – http://www.gramlee.com/
This Web 2.0 tool is great for students in any grade to help them check their documents, emails, papers, blogs and more. I chose this Web 2.0 tool because I teach fifth grade and the one content area I teach is grammar. I thought this tool would help students check their compositions in writing. I also think it would be a good idea for students practice their grammar skills by using this tool. The nice thing is Gramlee is free up to 100 words, but on the downside it costs money. Overall, I think this would be a great tool for students to use to monitor their grammar when writing.

5 comments:

TamraJ said...

I can really see you utilizing the live journal within your classroom. I think it would be a great way for students to respond to one another and learn to better express their ideas and opinions. I know that when I was in social studies in high school we had to read a current event in the paper for extra credit and then respond to it. It was a great way to get classroom discussions going. I think that taking that idea and bringing it into the 21st century with the new tools available would be a great way to get discussions going on the online journal. I hope you test it out because I think you students would have a lot of fun with it.

Laura Ann said...

Live Journal? No way! I can't wait to try using this in my classroom. There is so much you can do with this tool. I think it would be especially useful in first grade. We do journals a lot, but at times it's hard for the students to make connections and find it interesting. This tool would not only build skills about also ask them to think critically about the content.

Meera said...

Hi there,

Thanks for blogging about ToonDoo.
We're happy to know that you're using our site as an educational tool with your students!

We'd also like to share some more information that might help you use ToonDoo in the classroom. Please drop me a test email at toondudette (at) toondoo dot com so that we can get in touch with you!

thanks,
Meera
ToonDudette from www.jambav.com

Unknown said...

The Gramlee team says hello to Mr. Chropka and your students! We salute you for doing one of the most important and rewarding jobs - teaching our future generations.

We're extremely happy that Gramlee can help in your classroom. We've long pondered the idea of extending discounts to students. Here's a commitment: we'll make this happen in 2009. Let's get in touch and discuss how we can make this work for your students.

Thanks again for using Gramlee!

Travis said...

Mike please feel free to email me the information. My email is Tchropka@hotmail.com